Friday, March 27, 2009

Hush! God is Here!


I came across this Scripture verse recently.



“Stop at the crossroads and look around. Ask for the old, godly way, and walk in it. Travel its path and you’ll find rest for your souls...”(Jeremiah 6: 16-19).



I guess it's probably my age, but I often think about the old, godly ways, and long for them.

I'm longing for the reverence of God in church...an acknowledgment of His holiness; an awe of Who He is. I know He's our friend, and I love the relationship we have with Him on that basis.



But He is also God Almighty; Maker of Heaven and Earth; the One Who holds all things together -- the One Whom the angels worship 24 hours a day; the One Whose "eyes are like a flaming fire...His voice as the sound of many waters...."


When John saw Him like that in his vision, he fell at His feet as dead, the book of Revelation says. That's awe!

I'm reminded of a little church my sister and I visited in the UK, in 2007. St. Leonard's in Speeton, Yorkshire dates back at least the the 12th century, maybe even further:

It's the tiniest church I've ever seen -- surely couldn't hold more than 50 people -- set on the outskirts of the village. It was lovely to sit in its pews and meditate for a while; so quiet and peaceful.


But what struck me the most was the sign on the door:


Don't you think this sign should be on every church door?





No comments:

Post a Comment

We are all entitled to our own opinions -- and that's the beauty of a blog! So if I post something you don't agree with, that's ok...you can just move on.

But, if you decide to comment, please be polite - and I will respond accordingly.